Tuesday, December 27, 2005

What's Really Hidden?

I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday weekend. I really enjoyed myself, including last night where I started loosing those calories by playing my Dance Dance Revolution Game. I was sooo happy! I was not a champion at first. I am a little rusty. But once I was groovin', I was grooooovin'!!! I hope yo all got something you wanted and something you weren't expecting and something you expected by it still made you happy.

Well, onward in the conversation, I finally got to see King Kong and I have a couple of comments. So I heard about this whole hidden racism vibe. I mean if you want to stalk a film that was a cinamatic marvel then and is reigning as so now for hidden overtones you go right ahead. I mean if I took sooooo much time to analyze the subtle nuances that could mean there was a racist element to the film then sure I am sure I could find some. However, the bottm line is the cinematic experience. Do you walk away feeling disgusted? (ok discounting the creepy bug scenes.) Did you demand your money back because the film so blatantly hid racism? NO! You didnt. So is the film losing money over these "racist" tones? I don't think so. And it comes down to money. It talks. So if you went and saw for yourself and picked it apart and came out outraged, well then where is the protest? Where is the boycott? Where is the NAACP? I mean I can see it but guess what I don't have to. You don't have to. We don't have to. Not every movie, not every time. There doesn't have to be racism in everything.

But on a more important note, why is that damsel in distress does not count for black women really? More so, its that black men will NOT be seen running through jungles and fighting king kong, bugs, or giant flying monsters to save their woman. I mean in all these movies from Indiana Jones to Mission Impossible to even Independence Day which had a leading black man, there is not a black man to be found being heroic for his womanly counterpart. Even Denzel who could be considered the leading black man of our time period is chasing after Eva Mendes in Out of Time and Dakota Fanning in Man on Fire. These heroics are reserved for the white woman. Now if you want to talk about some racism, let's talk about that. That's the judgement I came to from King Kong. I mean for goodness sakes even Morgan Freeman who considers himself the leading male actor of our time and is definitely an African American male star works along side Ashley Judd's of the world. So you want to talk about hidden racism, that's not so hidden. It's more than aparent and guess what men - you are actually guilty of making art imitate life. Where is the black hero? If you meet him, let me know.

As I end my rant for right now, I would just like to say that men you can come back and read my blog. I will be bashing women at some point to cuz we need to get our acts together as well. As for now, I remain,
Down with racism,
Shemeka

No comments:

Post a Comment