Monday, February 20, 2006

What is history?

I just can't believe the things you can learn during one month of paying attention to facts that are so often overlooked. February is Black History Month and those people who say that they don't need it or want it are sadly naive. Sure in an idealistic society we would learn about great accomplishments from all races all year long but in the world we live in now, we CANNOT give up the month in which at least our african american achievements are acknowledged and celebrated.

So I learned a few things from a couple of different sources. Did you know that a black man invented the filament for the light bulb? Althougt we credit Thomas Edison his light bulb would not have worked at all if it was not for the filament to keep the electirc curretn under control. What about air conditioning and the clothes dryer? Some things we probably could not live without. Its just hard to believe that you never knew who was behind these things. Even the cell phone was black invention!! I am always impressed with our people and I am so happy that I can always include intellegiently as well.

Why don't we learn about these things? They are important not just for our self-esteem and empowerment as a people but also because teaching importance of all people, all year would help with our culture's ability to live in a more tolerant, less bigoted society. I want to become a teacher just so that I can show people these things; So I can change the way children think. If that's not a lofty and worthy goal I don't know what is. Can we keep our fingers crossed? Can we pray that things will get better? Well I hope for the best and work to change the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment