Friday, March 10, 2006

Crashing Pimps

So I have spent almost a week now listening to the back lash about the Oscars, in particular the Best Picture upset and Three 6 Mafia's win for Best Original Song. First and foremost, I must say that I have not had a chance to see all the best picture nominees so I can't make a complete judgement - however, the fact that people were sooooooo very, very put out by the fact that Crash won only lends itself to the importance of the film's win.

I hear my people complaining. I hear them complaining. I hear them saying - why they got to win for that song? Why Halle win the Oscar for being a ho? Why Denzel got to be a crooked cop before he win the Oscar? Sometimes I agree. I have seen Denzel amaze me with his acting skills so many times in films that it might just not be right that instead of winning for playing a father with nowhere to turn for his sick son in John Q, the academy awards him for playing a dirty, dishonest street cop from the wrong side of the tracks in Training Day. However, there are more to the Academy Awards than meets the eye. Sometimes its just time for that person to win. It's time for them to be recognized - and in life - not in memoriam or that lame end of your life award (sorry we never gave it to you but here it is - lame). Sometimes everything has to add up to a win. Three 6 won that award for its orginality - its reference to the movie. They aren't glorifying being a pimp as they said - it went along with a work of fiction and won for it symmetry to what was being portrayed on film.

So why are we complaining? What's going my people? What's going my fellow races? Are we so indifferent to racism that a film that portrays it real - that pulls it out of the dirty grubby little hand we as Americans peek in at then hide behind our backs - that tries to throw open the door and lets us know its not gone, its not finished cannot win an Oscar for Best Picture. Are we trying to be too sensitive, too politically correct when we say that Brokeback should have won? It was a love store - beautiful and painful. Does it get to win just because it was between two men? I will lend my voice to what I think of the other films when I see them and I am sure that Capote, Munich and Good Night and Good Luck will all show me that they were all of critical acclaim and good films but will they show me that they were better than Crash? We'll have to keep watching to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Girl. But, i must say that the three six acceptance speech was certainly sub-par1

    ReplyDelete