Friday, May 26, 2006

Can I go?

Oprah's Legends Ball.

I don't care how you feel about Oprah. I personally am pretty wishy washy when it comes to her. I am deliriously jealous is part of the problem. But like I said, I don't care how you feel about her the woman works miracles. This Legends Ball event was beyond amazing. And all I can say is, "Can I get an invite?"

I mean lets start with things you must admit. The first being is that Oprah has too much damn money!!!!! She bought a trolley so the women would not have to walk up and down the hill to the picture site. She gave each women a set of diamond earrings in a silver box. She had enough money that when she hired servants for the luncheon - all of them, all of them were white (bet a lot of you didn't notice that). I mean if there were a definition of someone with just too much money, Oprah's picture would be by it.
Second, if Oprah invites you to something, you do NOT say no. Gail was like people are calling and cancelling and people were calling to say that they were coming at the last minute. People, best better believe, if Oprah is hosting something, you want to be in attendance because its not just like she invites any old body cuz if that was the case then my mama would have been invited. I mean this woman knows how to throw a three day, lavish, ridiculous affair.
Third, Oprah is an ugly woman. I know, I know this seems a mean thing to say, but my friends its so very true. She has never been pretty. I know you have seen the Color Purple AND Beloved AND the scene on the Legends so where they are taste-testing the food and she has those little straight-back cornrows in her head. I thought at any moment she was going to break out and say, "You told Harpo to beat me." She looked a hot mess. You can tell that for Oprah makeup is not a "I can go without it" item.
Finally, the last thing you must admit is that noone throws anything like Oprah. From the decorations to the invitations, the event was first class. Which brings me back to my second point - how could anyone say no!?

I wanted to say that I truly enjoyed the honoring of some of my favorites such as Patti Labelle and Aretha and Chaka. These women have truly blessed our lives. We can all only hope that they don't stop making them like that. Those who Oprah chose as the youngins were a little scary but I appreciate the gesture she was trying to make. Even though I still think Ashanti, Mary J and Mariah could have stayed home. It was a beautiful thing to see Phyllicia Rashad and Cecily Tyson. They are two of the greats. I want to say thanks to Oprah for pulling the event off, because the words needed to be said - Thank You. We needed to thank these women for forging the path for all of us women to follow, to be proud of ourselves and our womanhood. So no matter how you feel about Oprah, she did a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment