Thursday, June 11, 2009

Only in Real Life

Since when did I stop believing in fairy tales. I am not exactly sure but I know that real life has hit me like a brick because in the real world your dreams are always on the back burner - there always seems to be something a little more pressing in your life that needs to be taken care of. Because in fairy tales....

-Finding in a significant other is as simple as wishing for him/her and waiting to be rescued from being single

-if you are a hard working woman, you are rewarded with admiration and your enemies at the job are eventually squashed

-there is a benefactor out there waiting to reward you with your heart's desire, if only for a little while, for all the suffering you have put in over the years

-your parents might not understand at first but then come to accept and respect your choices

-happily ever after is certainly waiting for you at the end

In the real world, happily ever after is not so certain. Broken homes, broken marriages, broken relationships, broken finances are all hurdles that must be jumped over, kicked down, avoided, if at all possible, in order to find that ideal. But even if I stopped believing that I could live a fairy tale - I haven't stopped believe in "ever after" b/c if I did that - life would only be the hurdles with no reward and what's the sense of living for that?

1 comment: